Recommended by Healthcare Professionals
"My patients regularly tell me that CEFALY takes the edge off migraine, enabling them to get back to their daily routine. Now available over the counter, CEFALY is much more accessible for patients without needing a prescription from their clinician.”
Deena E. Kuruvilla, M.D.
“CEFALY has really answered that call for many of my patients. It’s fantastic that it works as a preventative and an acute option, sometimes eliminating the need for multiple drug prescriptions.”
Stephanie Vertrees, MD
“I have been using CEFALY devices in my clinical practice for a few years now both as migraine prophylaxis as well as one of the acute/rescue options. I am very pleased with the results.”
Alexander Feoktistov, MD
“CEFALY efficacy data in our real world practice are not only replicated, but safe. The CEFALY DUAL is an effective abortive and preventive therapy as monotherapy and as well as combined.”
James A Charles, MD, FAAN, FAHS
“I LOVE the CEFALY device! It is so helpful to have a non-invasive and non-medication way to improve a headache. My patients and my headache clinic team alike love having this option in our toolbox to beat a migraine.”
How to Use CEFALY
1Cleanse your skin
It’s important to cleanse your skin before every CEFALY treatment session. This will help ensure the electrode attached securely to your forehead.
- Use soap and water to wash between and above your eyebrows. Afterward, be sure to dry your skin thoroughly.
- The use of make-up removing products is NOT recommended as a substitute for soap and water.
2Open The Electrode
Open the electrode packet and slide out the plastic sleeve, then peel off the electrode.
3Position the Electrode
Use a mirror to place the Electrode so the curved area is in between your eyebrows and the wings are just above your eyebrows. Firmly run your fingers over the Electrode a few times until it lays flat against your skin.
4Connect Your Device & Treat
On the back of your CEFALY DUAL Enhanced, you’ll find two small magnetic contacts, designed to securely attach to the Electrode (the contact in the center connects to the charging dock). Hold your device so these magnets are exposed and bring it toward your forehead. You’ll feel the device pulling itself toward the Electrode.
Once your device is securely attached to the Electrode on your forehead, you’re ready to select either the ACUTE program or the PREVENT program.
You control your CEFALY treatment intensity. It should never be painful and treating your migraine at a lower intensity is effective and perfectly normal. For some, CEFALY is immediately effective. For others, it may take weeks for your treatment sessions to produce the results you’re seeking.
Frequently Asked Questions
CEFALY is the first FDA Cleared device of its kind for the treatment of migraine headaches. It is a comfortable, drug-free, approach to help relieve pain and decrease the number of migraine days. In technical terms, it is an external trigeminal nerve stimulator, which is a non-invasive device placed on the head to stimulate and desensitize the Trigeminal nerve.
Research identifies the Trigeminal nerve as a center for migraine pain and can be accessed under the skin of your forehead. The CEFALY device has been specifically designed to make contact with the nerve endings of this branch via an electrode positioned on the forehead between the eyebrows. Once an electrode has been placed, the device magnetically secures a connection and begins to send tiny electrical impulses through the top branch into the Trigeminal nerve.
A session with the ACUTE setting lasts one hour and is used during a migraine attack. The session can be repeated for another 60-minute session if necessary or if another migraine attack occurs. A session with the PREVENT setting lasts 20 minutes. It must be used daily and may be done at any time throughout the day, though an evening session is preferred.
The CEFALY device should not hurt and is safe. However, the sensations experienced while using the CEFALY device are novel to most people and can take some adjustment. To make treatment more enjoyable, we recommend you increase intensity in small increments of time, over the course of a few weeks. If you feel the intensity is too strong for you, simply press the button to stabilize the session.
If 10 seconds after you’ve selected your session, you wish to increase the intensity, you can press and hold the button to quickly ramp up the intensity to your desired strength. When you release the button, the intensity will stabilize and remain constant. Should you press and hold the button again, the intensity will increase again. The maximum intensity is reached after pressing and holding the button for 30 consecutive seconds.
Indications, Contraindications, Precautions & Warnings
CEFALY® DUAL Enhanced is the first FDA-cleared medical device of its kind for treatment of migraine.
CEFALY DUAL Enhanced is indicated to be used for:
- The acute treatment of migraine with or without aura in patients 18 years of age or older.
- The preventative treatment of episodic migraine in patients 18 years of age or older.
CEFALY DUAL Enhanced is for patients diagnosed by a physician with migraine per the indications for use.
Do not use if you:
- Have implanted metallic or electronic devices in the head.
- Are suffering from pain of unknown origin.
- Have a cardiac pacemaker or an implanted or wearable defibrillator.
Consult a doctor before use if:
- You are under 18 years of age.
- You are over 65 years of age.
- You are pregnant or may become pregnant.
- You suspect or know that you have heart problems.
- You had a recent head injury.
- You have ever suffered a seizure.
- You have never been diagnosed with a migraine by a health professional.
- You have a headache that is different from your usual migraines.
- You have the worst headache of your life.
- You have fever or a stiff neck.
- You have a headache that began after a head injury, exertion, coughing, or bending.
- You experienced your first headache after the age of 50 years.
- You have a migraine so severe as to require bed rest.
- Do not use CEFALY DUAL Enhanced while sleeping.
- Do not use CEFALY DUAL Enhanced in a wet environment, such as in the bath or shower.
- Do not use CEFALY DUAL Enhanced while driving, operating machinery, or during any activity that requires you to be alert and focused. Wait for 1 hour after each treatment session before resuming any such activity.
- Do not use in the presence of electronic monitoring equipment (e.g., cardiac monitors, electrocardiogram (ECG) alarms).
The CEFALY DUAL Enhanced and electrodes are designed for and should be used only in the forehead region.
- Do not use CEFALY DUAL Enhanced in the neck region.
- While CEFALY DUAL Enhanced’s design prevents this, do not use CEFALY DUAL Enhanced close to the thorax (chest region).
Use CEFALY DUAL Enhanced only on normal, intact and clean skin.
- Do not use over open wounds.
- Do not use over skin eruptions.
- Do not use over swollen, infected or inflamed areas.
- Do not use over, or close to, cancerous lesions or skin abnormalities that could be cancerous.
- Use caution or avoid using CEFALY DUAL Enhanced if there has been any loss of feeling in the skin of your forehead or scalp until the normal feeling is resumed.
- Use CEFALY DUAL Enhanced only with the electrodes and accessories recommended by CEFALY Technology.
- Keep the CEFALY DUAL Enhanced out of the reach of children.
- Strangulation risk due to the length of the charging system cable.
- Suffocation risk in case of swallowing the electrode.
- If you have known allergies to acrylates, contact CEFALY TEchnology for hypoallergenic electrode alternatives.
Consult your healthcare provider before using the CEFALY DUAL Enhanced if you have Medication Overuse Headache, Chronic Tension-Type Headache, or Refractory Migraine, as the safety and effectiveness of the device have not been demonstrated for subjects with such conditions.
If the frequency of your headache is not reduced after 2 or 3 months of daily use of Program 2 (prevention), ask your doctor.
The long-term effects of chronic use of CEFALY DUAL Enhanced are unknown.
Migraines may indicate that you have a serious medical condition. You should have them checked by a doctor.
You should check with your doctor if you do not understand or if you are not sure whether any of the above Contraindications or Warnings apply to you or your condition.